Simpnews News Publishing PHP Script
Important installation note: the database you define in config.php must still exist. The install script does not create the database for security reasons.
Note for users of PHP4 <= 4.0.4: Please uncomment function is_null at end of functions.php.
- Copy config.dist.php to config.php and edit it to fit your needs (only recommended for people with PHP knowledge) or call admin/mkconfig.php to generate a config.php (if you’re using PHP version >= 4.2.0, you have to set $new_global_handling=true; in mkconfig.php).
Note: You can have multiple instances of SimpNews in the same database. Just set tableprefix in config.php to different values for each installation. Do this before calling admin/install.php.
To switch default language to English set the approriate values in config.php:
$default_lang = “en”; for user view
$admin_lang = “en”; for admin interface
On upgrading an existing installation, ensure you put all new vars of the new version in your existing config.php !!
- Upload all files (.php, inc. …) to your webhoster. Please maintain subdirectory structure.
Important: Use binary mode in ftp to transfer files in /applet, /gfx /admin/gfx and /sfx !!!!
- 1st time installation:
Now you can call
to create the tables and the 1st admin user
THIS ARCHIVE ONLY CONTAINS DB UPDATE SCRIPTS FOR V2.25+. TO UPDATE OLDER VERSION PLEASE DONWLOAD UPDATE PACKAGE TO 2.25 FROM WEBSITE !!!
Please replace all files (.php, .inc …) on your server !!
This way you determine which script you need:
- Take the actually installed versionnumber (e.g. 1.10).
- Remove the point in the versionnumber (in our example this results in 110).
Now you have the upgrade version.
- After this you need to sequentially use all upgrade scripts from this version to the actual version.
For our example the actual version should be 1.22 (short 122). Use upgrade_110_to_111.php than upgrade_111_to_112.php and so on until you reach upgrade_121_to_122.php
If one script in the sequence does not exists, for this upgrade step no database changes were necessary. In this case just continue with the next one in the sequence.
Upgrade scripts reside in subdir admin
- 1st time installation:
- After installation remove admin/mkconfig.php, admin/install.php, admin/upgrade_* and admin/fill_* and set filemode for config.php to disable PHP from writing to this file (on most server configurations this will be chmod 644).
- Now you can enter the admininterface by calling
and login using the adminuser created during the installprogress.